Color postcard from 1938 of the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad Co. ore dock in Marquette, Michigan. This postcard is part of the Marquette Postcard Souvenir Booklet. The ore docks were used to load ships with iron ore directly from railroad cars, making the process much more efficient. The first ore dock in Marquette was built in 1857. In 1862, elevated ore docks were built to make loading easier.