Black and white drawing from 1881 mapping out an aerial view of Marquette, Michigan. The ore docks are clearly visible along the harbor. These docks were used to load ships with iron ore directly from railroad cars, making the process much more efficient. The first ore dock in Marquette was built in 1857. In 1862, elevated ore docks were built to make loading easier.