Black and white photograph of George McEntire, chief of the Michigan Forestry Division, holding up a framed photograph of Deward, Michigan. The town of Deward was founded to liquidate the pine tracts of the town's namesake, D(avid) Ward. When the mills closed in 1912, the town died as well. The town was founded in 1901 and the last resident left in 1932. Only a few foundations and railroad grade remain.