Black and white copy print of a sketch of the Detroit Arsenal at Dearborn in 1895. In the 1830s, the Detroit Arsenal was moved from within the city of Detroit to a location west of the city in Dearborn. The arsenal's purpose was to serve as a supply depot for the (U.S.) army, and to store and maintain arms and ammunition. When the arsenal was deemed no longer of use to the U. S. Army, the buildings were auctioned off. The only building still remaining in its original location is the commandant's quarters building, which is now the Dearborn Historical Museum.