Black and white postcard from circa 1904-1906 of the State Public School in Coldwater, Michigan. The school was created by the Michigan Legislature in 1871 to provide support and instruction to neglected and dependent children aged 4-16 before they could be placed in permanent homes or returned to their families. The school provided "family-like" life that included education, recreation and work skills training. By the turn of the century, the school was the only home in the state to admit both disabled and non-disabled children. In 1935, the wards and records were taken over by the Michigan Children's Institute in Ann Arbor, and the Coldwater school became the Michigan Children's Village, accepting mildly impaired children. By 1939, it started admitting developmentally impaired persons of all ages and became the Coldwater State Home and Training School.