Black and white photograph from approximately 1962 of the ruins of a mining building in the ghost town of Central, Michigan. The Central Mining Company was organized in 1856 to mine a rich vein of copper along the bluffs. The town of Central grew up around the mine, up to 900 residents at the peak of the mine's performance in 1868. By 1898, the copper supply had run dry, and the mining company closed. The town was abandoned after that, with the last permanent resident leaving in 1952. The area is now a historic district, with ruins and rock piles scattered among the area.