Black and white photograph of Calumet Avenue, looking northeast from just southwest of Rockhouse Road in Calumet, Michigan. Photograph taken from 1144 Calumet Avenue. The shafthouse seen above the rooftops on the right is the Number 15 shafthouse, between Calumet Avenue and Rockland Street. The stacks are most likely from the Superior boiler house, located near Washington School. Both the shafthouse and the boiler house were operated by Calumet & Hecla Mining Co. (C & H). C & H was a copper mining giant in the area, with mining and administrative buildings throughout and surrounding Calumet, many of which still exist. Copper mining took place in the area from the mid-19th Century into the 20th Century. The Great Depression caused the closing of most copper mines in the area, although C & H continued operating until 1968.