Color postcard from circa 1924-1930 showing the view from Campus Martius west in Detroit, Michigan. The Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, erected in 1872, is in the foreground. The skyscraper in the middle of the frame is the Majestic Building, built in 1896 by Daniel Burnham. In the background is the Book-Cadillac Hotel, built in 1924 by Louis Kamper. On the left is the corner of the old Detroit City Hall, built in 1871 and demolished in 1961. On the right is the Old Detroit Opera House, with the Merrill Fountain in front of it. The Old Detroit Opera House was built in 1869 and was demolished in 1963. Opera was performed at a number of different opera houses in Detroit. The Merrill Fountain was designed by the same New York architects who designed the New York Public Library. It first opened in 1901, and was moved to Palmer Park in the 1950s.