Color postcard from circa 1907-1909 showing an view of Campus Martius looking northeast in Detroit, Michigan. With the Merrill Fountain in front of it is the old Detroit Opera House, with Woodward Avenue to the left and Monroe Street to the right. The Detroit Opera House was built in 1869 and was demolished in 1963. Opera was performed at a number of different opera houses in Detroit. The Merrill Fountain was designed by the same New York architects who designed the New York Public Library. It first opened in 1901, and was moved to Palmer Park in the 1950s. The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument in the foreground was erected in 1872 to commemorate the fallen Michigan volunteers of the American Civil War.