Black and white copy print of a photograph from approximately 1920 showing the traffic signaler's "crow's nest" at the intersection of Griswold Street and Michigan Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. On the right is the corner of the Detroit City Hall (1871, demolished 1961), and on the left is the corner of the Majestic Building (1896, designed by Daniel Burnham, demolished 1962). In the background can be seen the Cadillac Square Building (1918 - Louis Kamper) and the Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (erected 1872). The Crow's Nests were erected by the Detroit Police Department starting in 1917 to help control traffic (the city's first fatal traffic accident was in 1902). The Crow's Nests were ineffectual, and were replaced by electric lights a few years later.