Black and white photograph from approximately 1936 showing Woodward Avenue looking south from Winder Street in Detroit, Michigan. From 1934-1936 Woodward Avenue was widened, forcing the churches on this stretch to be moved and/or altered. The church in the foreground - the Woodward Avenue Baptist Church - had its steeple razed and facade changed to make room for the widened Woodward. The church was dedicated in 1887, and burned down in 1986. South of the Baptist Church on Woodward, St. John's Episcopal Church was moved east 60 feet to make room for the widening of Woodward; the bell tower was disassembled (as seen in this photograph) and then reassembled after the move.