Black and white photograph from circa 1885-1895 of Campus Martius in Detroit, Michigan. The Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument is prominent in the foreground; it was erected in 1872 to commemorate the fallen of the Civil War. In the background is the old Detroit City Hall, built in 1871. A sign advertising J. L. Hudson's is on the right, at the future location of the Majestic Building. Hudson's, which would continue to occupy a prominant place on Woodward Avenue until 2001, began in 1881.
Manning Bros. Commercial Photographers, Highland Park (Mich.)